Emad A. Salem was an FBI informant. The Feds forced him to snitch on Ramzi Yousef, Abdul Hakim Murad, and Wali Khan Amin Shah. Innocent people were convicted in the World Trade Center Bombing of February 26, 1993.
When the feces hit the fan, Salem told everybody the FBI knew about the bombing plot. He was selected to build the explosive. Military officials agreed to ruin the plot by supplying fake materials to him. At the last minute, he realized they were very real. Salem taped his telephone conversations with FBI agents. It saved his life. Those tapes were provided to defense attorneys. The FBI kept them a secret, and they were not used in the trial. James M. Fox, the head of the FBI, denied that his crew had any foreknowledge of the attacks.
Here’s a transcript from one of Salem’s recordings. Tell us what you think.
- Wiki- FBI Special Agent John Anticev: But, uh, basically nothing has changed. I’m just telling you for my own sake that nothing, that this isn’t a salary, that it’s—you know. But you got paid regularly for good information. I mean the expenses were a little bit out of the ordinary and it was really questioned. Don’t tell Nancy I told you this. [Nancy Floyd is another FBI Special Agent who worked with Emad A. Salem in his informant capacity.]
- FBI undercover agent Emad A. Salem: Well, I have to tell her of course.
- Anticev: Well then, if you have to, you have to.
- Salem: Yeah, I mean because the lady was being honest and I was being honest and everything was submitted with a receipt and now it’s questionable.
- Anticev: It’s not questionable, it’s like a little out of the ordinary.
- Salem: Okay. Alright. I don’t think it was. If that’s what you think guys, fine, but I don’t think that because we was start already building the bomb which is went off in the World Trade Center. It was built by supervising supervision from the Bureau and the D.A. and we was all informed about it and we know that the bomb start to be built. By who? By your confidential informant. What a wonderful, great case!
- Anticev: Well.
- Salem: And then he put his head in the sand and said “Oh, no, no, that’s not true, he is son of a bitch.” [Deep breath.] Okay. It’s built with a different way in another place and that’s it.
- Anticev: No, don’t make any rash decisions. I’m just trying to be as honest with you as I can.
- Salem: Of course, I appreciate that.
- Anticev: And as far as the payments go, and everything like that, they’re there. I guarantee you that they are there.